I am currently taking science courses here at RIT, working towards my degree in biotechnology. I would like to work in any lab setting my degree allows, either in a crime lab, doctors lab, pathology, animal hospital labs, etc. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics, I have listed the top 5 lab science related occupations with the projections from 2104-2024. The following will also list the percentage of the employment change from 2014 to 2024, and the total of opening from 2014 to 2024. The data was from https://data.bls.gov/projections/occupationProj. I did a search under “Lab”, and picked out the ones that were related to lab science.
- Forensic Science Technicians
- 26.6% increase, with a total of 9,900 openings
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- 22.2% increase, with a total of 21,400 openings
- Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
- 19% increase, with a total of 77,200 openings
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
- 18.7% increase, with a total of 27,400 openings
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
- 17.8% increase, with a total of 68,100 openings
The list above makes me feel a little bit better, also knowing there are going to be plenty of openings within the lab science field is a nice thing to know. There are many more amazing science related jobs to list, wanted to keep it down to 5. The current projections are for occupations in the lab science, the list above are above 15% to 26.6% range of increase of growth from the year of 2014 to 2024. This ensures me that the science occupations are going to at least increase more than decreasing.